Work for the UK’s largest children’s charity has included:
• Regional media work across the UK (2008-2015)
• Media relations and profile development in the Midlands region (2002-2007)
• Media relations work in Wales (2011). Secured over 70 media stories in four-month period
• Design and implementation of media strategies and evaluations for major fundraising and publicity appeals. The West Midlands Disability Appeal (2003-2005) generated over 300 media stories with key message delivery in over 70 per cent of coverage, and reached at least four million people and raised over £300,000. The Every Child Matters Appeal (2006-2008) highlighted issues including poverty, disability and abuse; in its first year the appeal generated over 360 media stories and raised over £260,000
• Media training for a range of employees
• Ongoing work to launch AI’s flagship annual report each year from 2004-2017, including project management, media strategy, messaging, media materials, press conference organisation and writing regional overviews
• Conducting several internal reviews (including major review of AI’s international media work, 2006)
• Special Advisor to Irene Khan, AI Secretary General
• Organised memorial service for AI founder Peter Benenson at St Martin in the Fields, Trafalgar Square, London (2005)
• Production of speeches, reports, and strategy papers. Wrote introduction to AI’s Report 2006
• Interim Media and Audio-Visual Director on three occasions: in 2004 (AI’s press office subsequently won the London Foreign Press Association’s Press Office of the Year award), 2005 and 2008. Managed team of 17 people and handled major international news stories. Oversaw strategy and international launch of AI’s Report 2004, with press conference attended by more than 100 journalists; exceptionally strong media coverage including more than 85 broadcast interviews by staff, which forced responses from US administration
• Speeches for several Secretary Generals
• Coordinated media work for global Control Arms Campaign, jointly with Oxfam and IANSA in 60 countries in 2003. International press conference and photo opportunity in Trafalgar Square attended by Reuters, AFP, BBC, Associated Press and others. UK coverage included all broadsheets, BBC One o’Clock News, Channel 4 News, GMTV, BBC Radio 4 today. “The event was a great success and coverage internationally has been fantastic - we would never have done it without you” - feedback from AI’s Media Unit
• Media training for a range of employees
• Support with staff recruitment (including press officers, Senior Director of Campaigns)
• Messaging, speeches and press release for 50th anniversary (2011)
• Wrote documents and reports including briefing report to launch global Stop Torture campaign (2014); (2014); (2015) and '2015 Global Finance Report' (2016); (2016)
Wrote/edited brochure and event script for Media Awards 2003 held at BAFTA, London. Richard Bunting was a judge in the periodicals category.
Support and advice for campaigns training programme.
Birmingham Children’s Fund. Media work and organisation of review of magazine including readership survey.
Provided fully revised text for relaunched website (2013/2014) for this socially-motivated housing association.
Wrote press releases and provided media advice for Europe’s leading organisation for conservation of invertebrates.
Communications, media and PR advice and support.
(formerly Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers).
• Wrote and implemented media and advocacy strategy for publication of flagship Child Soldiers Global Report 2004, the only report to monitor recruitment and use of children as soldiers worldwide. Organised media training for regional launches in Africa, Asia and South America. Organised international launch and press conference at London’s Foreign Press Association, resulting in almost 250 articles in the international and national media. Produced media evaluation.
• Media training for regional officers from around the world
• The coalition’s steering committee includes Amnesty International. Defence for Children International, Human Rights Watch and International Save the Children Alliance
Media work to promote major report analysing conflict in Afghanistan. CPAU is an Afghan not-for-profit research think-tank and institution working for peace, social justice and human rights.
Marketing and communication advice. Member of marketing committee for several years.
• Coordinated media work on record-breaking Indian Ocean Tsunami Appeal (2005) which raised over UK£392m. Full media relations service including producing and implementing media strategy, writing and issuing media materials, acting as spokesperson on national and regional radio, arranging broadcast interviews with DEC’s Chief Executive, handling media enquiries, producing event brochures and website material. Liaison with media officers of DEC member agencies (ActionAid, British Red Cross, CAFOD, CARE International UK, Christian Aid, Concern, Help the Aged, Merlin, Oxfam, Save the Children, Tearfund, World Vision)
• In 2010, provided media support including cover for DEC’s Media Manager during Haiti Earthquake Appeal, which raised UK£107m
On expert panel contributing to (2012) - a report launching a major Route Map Project identifying solutions to global environmental and social challenges for the next 20 years
Media relations, including writing, editing and issuing press releases and providing media contacts.
Media audit with report and recommendations. Media work for Iraq report.
MOMS (Maintain our Maternity Services). Advice and support for successful community campaign to protect and strengthen maternity services in north Derbyshire. The campaign supported the internationally acclaimed and award-winning Darley Maternity Unit, threatened with closure under a review of midwifery services. The unit remained open.
Delivered workshop on working with specialist and local media at 2012 communications and marketing conference, and workshop on communications at 2012 conference for smaller housing associations. Drafted online communications guide for smaller housing associations.
Communications work including strategies, press releases and feature writing for the official campaign for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
Media and public relations work.
Media and public relations work.
. Communications strategy advice, including draft organisational key messages.
Wrote communications and advocacy strategies. Produced text for redesigned website. Production and editing of leaflets and brochures. Media and advocacy work on cohabitation campaign and ongoing public relations advice. Annual media training for regional press officers for several years. Cover for communications staff on several occasions (2007-2011). Campaign challenging Government’s Legal Aid cuts 2011 (wrote strategy, briefings for MPs and liaison with their offices, press releases). Resolution was previously known as the Solicitors Family Law Association.
Creation of organisational key messages. Media relations, including of charity’s 2014 launch.
Advice and support including production of ethical tourism campaign material for website. Produced direct mail to supporters.
Researched and produced internal study on global communications and advocacy initiative.
Ongoing media and communications work for this award-winning conservation charity since 2007, securing over 1,100 media articles to date and developing strong relationship with media across Scotland. Trees for Life is restoring the Caledonian Forest to an area of 1,500 square kilometres in the Highlands west of Inverness.
Review of advocacy work with recommendations in association with Geneva-based consultancy Media Strategies International. Also delivered media training in Geneva in 2003.
• Produced review and recommendations for a project that, in liaison with the Kenyan Government, aimed to reduce poverty through good governance by developing the media environment and strengthening the Kenyan media’s role and capacity, as well as improving the government’s communication with the media. Described by UNDP as “a well-written report that ... colleagues regard highly”
• Media training
• Analysis and recommendations on strategy for 2007 UNITE for Children, UNITE against AIDS campaign, which focuses on the impact of HIV/AIDS on children
• Managed 2003 End Child Exploitation Campaign, producing and implementing campaigns and media strategy. Media coverage of advocacy film featuring singer Robbie Williams and other activities reached combined audience of over 175 million people, including features on BBC1 Newsround and BBC Breakfast. A major report on child trafficking was covered by over 300 UK media outlets - including lead story on Channel 4 News and BBC2’s Newsnight, and a front-page special investigation by The Guardian, along with dozens of international outlets. Successful campaigning and advocacy initiatives included achievement of key parliamentary lobbying objectives and recruitment of supporters. “Thanks so much for all the work you have put in ... you did a fantastic job” - feedback from UNICEF’s Head of Campaigns
Researched and wrote immunisation manual for UNICEF’s international office in New York. This manual is being used worldwide to boost immunisation against major diseases and to enable journalists to obtain key facts and figures easily.
Media and PR advice and support for this international development charity, including on strategy for two-year Africa Matters appeal.
Edited 'The Red Squirrel: A Future in the Forest' book (2017)
Wrote - a handbook on chronic disease prevention and control for use by advocates worldwide. Used in conjunction with a major report and toolkit materials with the aim of saving 36 million lives through an additional two per cent reduction in chronic disease death rates annually.
and completed projects
Media training in Dublin, Ireland for InHope (the International Association of Internet Hotlines). InHope coordinates a global network of internet hotlines, supporting them in their fight against illegal content to make the internet safer. It is co-funded by the European Union.
Media training in Luxembourg for InSafe, the e-safety awareness-raising network co-funded by the European Commission. It comprises national contact centres across the EU and in Iceland and Norway.
Ongoing communications work since 2012, including media strategy, media guide for country missions, news releases and writing and placing opinion pieces for a range of high-profile media outlets worldwide.
Produced communications and media kit for launch of World Disasters Report 2008, the International Federation’s flagship publication. The kit included launch messages, press release and key facts and figures. The International Federation is the world’s largest humanitarian organisation.
Edited manual on media relations for media workers worldwide.
Review of communications and information work. Support with recruitment of Director of Communications. Wrote information pack. Wrote text for website, including updates on events held by national parliaments worldwide. IPU - the oldest multilateral political organisation in the world - brings together over 160 affiliated national parliaments and also associated regional assemblies.
Co-founder and Director of award-winning environmental project, which regularly features in the national and regional media.